Bwyd Powys Food Partnership was established in Spring 2022
Our Chairperson is: Richard Edwards
Our Steering Group consists of:
In July 2023 we welcomed on board Chloe Masefield as South Powys Sustainable Food Places Co-ordinator.
The Partnership has just completed engagement work with stakeholders and members of our communities to map out: People. Policy. Place. The mapping included focus groups with key beneficiaries such as families on low incomes; refugees; community food groups and tenants and residents groups.
Using the results of the mapping work, we held our Bwyd Powys Food Summit on 16 October 2023 at Hafan-yr-Afon, Newtown. 35 individuals participated from a range of strategic, decision-making organisations, such as Powys County Council, Powys Teaching Health Board, Natural Resources Wales and Social Farms & Gardens. The summit was opened by Katie Palmer, programme manager for Food Sense Wales. The outcome of the summit will be a Bwyd Powys Food Strategy. This strategy will guide the delivery work of Bwyd Powys Food for the next 2-3 years. The draft will be shared with partners before it is finalised.
Since being formed in Spring 2022, Bwyd Powys Food has been involved in the following campaigns:
1. 'Food and Fun' Welsh Government Holiday Enrichment Programme
2. Powys Teaching Health Board's NVQ Level 2 "Nutritional Skills for Life"
3. Tir Coed horticultural studies Level 2 "Sustainable Horticulture"
4. Social Prescribing working in partnership with Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust
5. Food For Life "Plant Share" initiative
6. Partnership with Social Farms & Gardens to carry out a "Sustainable Procurement Food Hub" delivery model
7. Building partnerships with Family Integrated Centres including Welshpool and Newtown
8. Linking in with PAVO's Community Connectors to bring our messages to as many people as possible
9. Productive Community Orchards programme
10. Delivering a Campaign Grant "Food for All" to create a Good Food Economy across Powys
11. Continue discussions with the community and keystakeholders to map: People. Policy. Place. This will help us continue to build on our Good Food Movement in Powys and create more active food citizens.
County Councillor/Cabinet Member Jake Berriman Bwyd Powys Food Summit October 2023
County Councillor and Cabinet Member Jake Berriman visiting Bwyd Powys Food stall Royal Welsh Show July 2023
Nick taking part in a Sustainable Food Places Panel discussion with fellow Co-ordinators and Food Sense Wales Royal Welsh Show July 2023
Nick and Ashleigh Bwyd Powys Food in the Agroecological Marquee Royal Welsh Show July 2023
Richard from Bwyd Powys Food presenting to Powys County Council Reception Royal Welsh Show July 2023
Bwyd Powys Food Stakeholder Forum 'Sustainable Agriculture' Sept 2023 Llanidloes Town Hall